Tailored to fit – training school for young women
Benin Education and Training - Women's Empowerment
Aleimar has been present in Kposseganis, a small rural village with about 1.000 inhabitants, since 2008. The infrastructures and services are weak and malfunctioning. The community sustains itself with subsistence farming and livestock. Tailored
The project ‘’Tailored to Fit’’ is going to start up two training professional courses: a sewing and a hairstyle class. The courses appeal to young people from 13 to 18 years old, who cannot finish school due to different reasons. At the end of the course, the apprentices will be given a degree in order to certify their skills. This way we intend to support the role of the women in their communities, encouraging their integration and emancipation.
In addition, the course can be useful to make participants aware of important themes, such as personal hygiene, the risks of untimely pregnancy and the importance of medical checkups. Showers and a dormitory have been created in the structure in addition to a well for clean water. Thereby, girls will be enabled to have an accommodation and to avoid long and daily journeys to commute to work. Food will be provided to the staff by a food service, in order to guarantee daily and regular meals.
The project is supported by OttopermilleValdese
Goals of the project
- To ensure a specialized training in order to ease girls the access to the labor market, encouraging them economic independence.
Beneficiaries of the project
- 18 girls from 13 to 18 years old who attend the training course.
What can you do
- €50: You can guarantee access to the school canteen for a child for six months;
- €100: You can grant a formative course to a girl for a month;
- €200: You can contribute to the construction of a dormitory and a well.