Food is life
Malawi Health and Nutrition - Child Protection
In the region of Chimwala, which is home to about 112,000 people in twenty-five villages, is Mangochi, located in the south of the country. About 12 km from of Mangochi is the Nutrition Center for Children, a project followed by Father Kimu, which supports and feeds thousands of children.
In Malawi, nutrition is incomplete and scarce in proteins: the majority of the population does not eat fish or meat. Milk is not easily available because of its high cost, and, therefore, very few children are able to enjoy it. In 2015, a strong flood destroyed a significant number of cornfields, worsening the malnutrition crisis.
Father Kimu started 20 projects aimed at the most disadvantaged segments of the population and, in the meantime, he has realized that the lack of education and formal training represents one of the main reasons of the precariousness of Malawi.
Thanks to the project “Food is life”, we intend to guarantee food support for malnourished children and support the monitoring of the health of every single patient of the Center. The support consists of the supply of milk and protein flour as well as the measurement of the circumference of the arm and the tracking of height and weight.
Goals of the project
- To offer nutritional support to malnourished children.
- To provide individual health care.
- To supply milk and protein flour
Beneficiaries of the project
- Children of the nutrition center run by Father Kimu.
What you can do
- €50: You can guarantee milk and protein powder to a child for six months;
- €100: You can guarantee medical check-ups to a child for a year;
- €200: You can grant medical and nutritional assistance to a child for six months.